Sunday 30 September 2012

Nog’s Travels this weekend - 9-30-2012




We got up about 6:30 a.m. and worked on some family history before I went downstairs and made Grilled Almond Butter and sauteed Cinnamon Apple Sandwiches for breakfast.   They were amazing! 
Here is the link:


After breakfast I pulled out a big kettle and husked 3 dozen ears of corn.  Put 6 ears in the kettle and started to cook corn.  After pulling all the corn out and letting it cool (after a dunk in ice cold water) I also cooked up some green beans I had picked up at Dutton’s Farm stand this week.

I took the corn off the cob and put it into quart size ziploc bags.  Filled up 6 of them.  Cut up the green beans and put them into a quart ziploc bag as well.  So another bag of beans for soups this winter and 6 of corn.

If it ever dries out, I need to dig potatoes and plant garlic for next spring.

*****

I was reading in a genealogy blog earlier this week about making goals in the history research.  It is too easy to start with one person and suddenly find yourself out about 3 or 4 generations away from the person you were going to work on.

Decided to try to source my Great Uncle Charles R. Church whom I just found a week ago in the Oakland Cemetery in Brockville, Ontario.  Great Uncle Charles is the youngest half brother to James Turner Church, my great grandfather.  He was born 1 May 1873 in Kitley, Leeds, Ontario, Canada, his mother is Nancy Donahoe and his father is Joel V. Church.

The birth record gives his brother Uri’s name but has his birthdate which shows up in future census records in Canada.

In 1881 he is listed as being a Methodist, and is going to school.

In 1891 he is working on his father’s farm.

In 1901 his is listed as a Farmer’s Son, born in Canada.

24 Mar 1902 he married Mary Helena Coad in Brockville.  Her parents were Joseph Coad and Margaret Connor and we found them last week buried in Toledo, Ontario in the Cemetery on the Hill. 

in 1911 he is living in Kitley, Ontario as a Farmer.  He has $2,000.00 in Insurance and has had insurance for 22 years.

1965 he died and is buried in Oakland Cemetery in Brockville, Ontario.



I think the 1921 Canadian census may be coming out next year, so I’m looking forward to updating some of the Canadian Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents in my family tree.

After I finished sourcing Uncle Charles Church as far as I can at this point, I began working on Great Aunt Mary Helena Coad.

I’ve also been updating the Coad’s in the Cemetery on the Hill in Toledo, Ontario by adding photos for the stones.  The person who entered them into the Find a Grave website has transferred the entire family to me. 

Kirsten and I found memorial stones for Mary Helena Coad’s parents, grandparents, some of her aunts and uncles in the Toledo Cemetery to photograph a week and a half ago.

And finally, in an effort to learn a bit more about Loyalist/Tory history, I am reading “Shadow Soldiers of the American Revolution”  Loyalist Tales from New York to Canada by Mark Jodoin.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Shadow_Soldiers_of_the_American_Revoluti.html?id=HWOQufUoDnYC

Front Cover
The History Press, Jul 3, 2009 - 158 pages
In 1778, New York state patriots forced colonists loyal to the British government to flee north into what became Ontario and Quebec. Many of the defiant young British Americans soon returned south as soldiers, spies and scouts to fight for their multigenerational farms along the Mohawk River, Lake Champlain and the Hudson River Valley. Eventually defeated, they were banished from their ancestral homelands forever. Mark Jodoin offers an enlightened look back at ten young men and women who were forced north into what became Ontario and Quebec, sharing the struggles that these Loyalists faced during our nation's founding.

I’m hoping to find a good Canadian History book to learn even more about my Canadian Grandparents on both sides of my family.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I can see how that could be a problem -- wandering off, following some pied piper on an historical detour, and losing track of just what you were trying to research in the first place. I hope your new technique works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sandra, it sort of worked today, I still wandered off with the Coads and chatting with a 4th cousin of my Great Aunt Mary Helena Coad, but I'll give it a try again. There is just so much to do with family history...

      Delete