Saturday 8 September 2012

2012-09-08 Ontario Vacation & Family History


We had left South Newfane on Friday night after trying to find black sneakers that had been placed on a black plastic bag and trying to get my electronics together.

I drove through Troy, NY where the last time I had driven that area, the jeep got rammed in the back and I was 3 months getting the back end pulled out 4 inches.  Fella behind me apparently wasn't prepared to use his brakes.   So I had been letting K drive us through that area, but I did it today.

Felt good to meet the FEAR and conquer it.

So we drove out Route 90 to Johnstown, NY and stayed in a Microtel Inn for the night.  A co-worker had made Salsa and brought in a jar for each of us in Accounting in the morning, I had packed the jar and my swiss army knife with a jar opener in it, and we had Sesame Blue Chips and Teresa Thayer's wonderfully delicious salsa.  Just the right hint of spice.

To Teresa I say, thank you so much for sharing your Salsa and you can definitely share it again!  YUM!

Today, we left Johnstown and meandered down route 67 to route 5, didn't mean to meander quite that much, but it's vacation and it happens.  Johnstown is a lovely little New York town that in its heyday must have been quite something.  Fancy decorations on many of the buildings on main street.

We got gas in Palatine and decided to cross the River there near Lock 15 of the Canal Waterway.

Got on to Route 90 to zoom to Canada.  A very intense rain storm hit us enough to make us and many others roll to the side of the New York Thruway and wait out the storm.  Wind was driving the rain in sheets at us.

We drove up Route 90 to 290 then 190 towards Lewiston, NY and crossed into Canada.  We were listening to songs on the iPod and wouldn't you know it, just as we were waiting on the Bridge crossing the Niagara River into Canada, on comes a song by our Canadian friend, Lorne Clarke.

Border Official wanted to know why we were heading to Canada? Did we think that we were related? Were we planning to move to Canada?

We then continued to drive through St. Catharine on to the 403 then met with the 401 and down to Chatham.  We saw some very wild sky all day.  I'm going to post one here.

So tomorrow we meet Uncle John Mercer the Sheriff of Chatham, Kent, Ontario.  He is of course laid to rest in the Maple Leaf Cemetery....

more tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Great start, Linda. I'm not sure I've seen that part of Ontario. Any chance you'll be visiting Peterborough? If so, let me know, and I'll give you my daughter's address. I'm sure she would be delighted to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra, I think we'll be going all around Peterborough. After we leave Windsor in a couple days, we'll be heading to Orillia, then on to Algonquin Park, then over to Merrickville and Brockville.

    But what a lovely offer..... remember, if you and R ever get to Vermont, you got friends to hang with.

    ReplyDelete