Thursday 13 September 2012

Day 6 - Orillia, Simcoe, Ontario. Gateway to Cottage Country.




We got up about 6:30 and Kirsten went to McCabe’s next door to get us some coffee while I began doing some Brennan homework.

I wrote up some family group sheets and made a list of the people I was hoping to find in the St. Andrews and St. James Cemetery.

We left about 10:00 a.m. and drove across the very busy 4 lane highway to the cemetery.  We stopped at the office and met Jan who was busily working on the Leef Family list I had sent her.  “You are here too early!” she cried after I introduced myself. “I’m still working on the list.”

We hung out with her and met her boss Nicole who I had sent my email to a month ago, while she finished up the Leef listing and gave us a copy of the Leef family plot.

Since she still had the Brennan family to check, we left the office and headed over to Section C.  We quickly found the stone monument and then found there were several smaller stones on the ground that the grass was covering. 

Now Kirsten enjoys digging out these kind of things, so she pulled out my japanese gardening knife to cut grass and sod away from the stones and clear them up so I could write the information and take photographs.  The spot light worked admirably on some of the stones and as soon as I get a chance, I will be putting copies of these stones into the Find-a-Grave site.

We had a black squirrel who was checking us out and apparently wondering what we were doing in his yard.



We found a stone that I don’t think the cemetery has listed for Burkitt Alexander (Alex’r) McDonald, so I’m going to chat with them about it tomorrow when we stop by for a business card and to check that we got all the Brennan family members.  However, at this time I don’t know who that is other than his mother or grandmother might be Susanna Burkitt.  So, now I’ve given myself more homework to do.  LOL!

As we were leaving the Leef plot, Jan drove over and gave us the list of Brennan family members, a map of the cemetery and approximately where they are and a couple plot listings.  Apparently, they don’t have any very old records as they have been lost or misplaced, Jan was pretty apologetic.  We thanked her for all her hard work and the help she had given us, said goodby and took off to find James M Brennan, brother to Elizabeth (Betsy) Brennan.



We continued through the list of about 30 Brennan family members and found their stones to write up, list in the Find-a-Grave and put in photos that I took.

Close to 4:00 p.m. we were headed for the last Brennan daughter, we passed Nicole and some workmen who were finishing up a grave that there had been a funeral for today, a lady passed us in van that we waved to.  Nicole spoke to the woman and the next thing we knew the van was following us around the cemetery.  We finally stopped and the lady  jumped out of the car to find out who was looking for Brennan’s.

I introduced myself to Arlene S. Brennan.  Her husband Wayne, is my 4th cousin.  She looked at the list of Brennan’s I had and told me about another one we had missed and where the stones was on our map.

We finished with the Armson stone we were heading for, then back down into the cemetery where we met up with Arlene again.  Her business is called, “Gardens of Endearment” she prepares, plants and maintains little cemetery gardens at the cemetery. She was driving around watering plants and keeping her 3 year old grandson with her.

She also suggested that I contact one of her sister-in-laws who had done some research on the Brennan family.

We came back to the motel, I downloaded photos of all the stones I took and some that Kirsten had taken, we made supper and then I called Shirley Cole.

I introduced myself and told her how we were related, she was delighted to hear from a cousin.  However, she didn’t have the slightest interest in family history although her father was quite interested in it.  

She gave me the phone number of another sister, Glenda and thought perhaps she would know where the family history went and photo album that Ellwood Brennan had made, went to.

So, I called Glenda and left a message, explaining who I was, how I was related, who had given me her number and asked if she knew where the family history that her father and put together might be.

At this posting, we are still waiting to hear back from Glenda.

5 comments:

  1. Such attention to detail! Me, I'd wander through a cemetery, say "ooh, pretty headstones!" take a photo, and be on my way. Come to think of it, I've done just that.

    How did you get started at this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom and an uncle have been working on family history since forever, well okay, Mom since 1964 when I came home with an assignment to find out who my grandparents, great grandparents and beyond were, their birth, marriage and death dates and where they were born, married, lived, what they did and such. We visited both of my grandmothers for information and Mom was stunned at how little we knew as a family. I got an A on the homework, but Mom launched off from there.

    Forty years later, Kirsten had been getting pieces of family history from both her grandmother and grandfather and a cousin of her grandfather's. We had a friend who had 2 copies of Family Tree Maker and she gave us one. The Family History Gene came out in both of us big time. We started slowly and I added my Mom's information into the family tree.

    Then a couple years ago Kirsten decided to give Ancestry.com a try. She was on it for a couple months and I added my family tree and was stunned at all the information that arrived as "hints". census records, sometimes people have added pictures. While I was googling a search, I happened upon Interment.net, not much info there. Then I happened upon Find-A-Grave website. Did a search and found some of my relatives including my Dad were listed with copies of the stones. I joined the free membership at that time and just used the site to find info. Then I realized I could help others by adding in stones nearby and two years ago I changed my membership so that I was a photo volunteer in my area.

    Quite often I will take pictures of family stones in a cemetery then add a few that I like the looks of. I check the cemetery for photo requests before we go and email the requests to Kirsten and my phones, then we can look for those if we happen upon them.

    It has become an addiction for us, LOL! I really enjoy the park like atmosphere in many of the bigger cemeteries and have been amazed at the different types of fonts, art work and sayings on the stones. Add to that the realization that some of the stones are literally melting away and we can no longer read them, make me want to enter as many as I can to preserve history.

    hows that for a prosy answer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visual Arts, I wish you hadn't deleted your post, because I wanted to reply and say that at times I've thought about moving to Canada. I'd love the idea. Since I live in Vermont, that is the next best thing and Canada is a matter of hours away. However the part of Ontario I love is about 8 - 11 hours away depending on whether it is Brockville area or Algonquin Park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the pictures of the LEEF family gravestones. As I live in NEW ZEALAND, it is pretty unlikely I would ever have the opportunity and time to visit and glean so much information. The William Henry LEEF (1813-1897) who settled at Orillia, Ontario, CANADA, about 1862, was the nephew of John LEEF (c1808-1885), who settled at Opara, Hokianga, NEW ZEALAND, about 1833. The images have been most helpful in confirming, and extending my information base.on the LEEF family in CANADA. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete