Wednesday 19 September 2012

Day 12 - A new sunny day but cold.



We got up about 7:00 a.m. and took showers. Erin brought us a lovely breakfast of Hot Croissant, a lemon poppyseed muffin, yogurt, juice, a hardboiled egg, coffee and the fruit plate of the day was a half a grapefruit each with strawberries and grapes.   We are so spoiled.  It will be so different to get up tomorrow morning and have to make our own breakfast.  LOL!



We packed up our stuff, cleaned up the cabin and left about 10:30. We stopped at the office to pay the bill and chatted with Erin for about a half an hour.  It’s very quiet and peaceful and she asked if we felt balanced again and ready for getting on with the world.   We told her we were.

We headed out Route 60 towards Ottawa.  In Barry’s Bay I stopped to fill the tank with gas.  After that we started noticing that we were getting 40+ miles per gallon.  The most I think we saw was 41.9 mpg.  Hooray for a Subaru!

We got into Arnprior and took 15 down to Smith Falls, then on 29 down to Toledo.  We stopped at the Cemetery on the Hill in Toledo looking for any more Brennan’s, Coad, or DeWolfe.  Found a bunch of the Coad family, not sure if they are related to Mary Helena Coad yet.

Also found an Isaac DeWolfe that I need to look up plus his wife.  His stone leans forward and I am afraid at some point it will fall over on its face.



I was concerned to find many stones in this cemetery are simply falling off their pedestals and laying on the ground. Saw a really large red granite top that was about 6 feet long and about a foot wide laying on the ground off of the 3 foot pedestal it was sitting on.

Here is a Tallman stone I wanted to photograph, luckily the info I was looking for is on the front of this stone and readable.



There are no more Brennan’s in that cemetery other than William S Brennan, his wife and baby daughter.

As Kirsten was digging the grass away from a small Coad stone that had sunk down into the grass and dirt, a car stopped out near ours. 



A man walked over to us and started asking us a few questions.  His name is Tom Freeman and he has an interest in the history of Toledo and wondered who we were looking for.  

I told him about the Brennan, Coad and DeWolfe family members.

He said that John Brennan Esq. and the Marshall family in Toledo were having a fight trying to draw more business to both Toledo and Brennanville (now known as Frankville). He told me where the Coad homestead used to be in Toledo and gave me the title of a book to read.  "Kitley 1795 - 1975"
by Glenn J Lockwood.

I've been checking on line and it looks like I’m going to have to see if my little hometown library in Newfane can get me a copy through interlibrary loan as this book is no longer available in print.

There is also a book about the building of Brockville by the same author that I may try to get through interlibrary loan as well.

Hopefully some of the cemeteries we visit tomorrow will not have quite the abandoned look that Cemetery on the Hill in Toledo has.

We are staying in Brockville for the next three nights at the Travelodge.  I’m hoping to get to the Leeds and Grenville branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society this trip and splurge on a bunch of books I’ve been wanting.



See you all tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment