Sunday 14 October 2012

10 14 2012 - Fall Errands Galore




We had decided that Saturday the 13th was a day of errands.

We needed to go to the dump and drop off bags collected since June.

Then to Renew Salvage for some 2x6 and 2X4 lumber to build some raised beds for next year and a compost bin.  While at Renew we also found an old end table. We have an old enamelware table top we wanted to put on a table to use out on the deck.

We had a neighbor build an overhang for the garage side door while we were on vacation last month, so we stopped at the Sherwin-Williams store to pick up some Pine Needle stain.  This is the same color we used in 1998 to stain the house, garage and woodshed as each was built over the years.



We then drove to the Taft cemetery in West Dummerston on Route 30 and took photos of 3 stones for Find A Grave requests.  I always enjoy taking photos of cemetery stones for folks who live far away and can’t get here to Vermont to see their grandparents, great grands or older memorial stones.  These requests had been made back in November and December of 2011.











After we had finished photographing stones we drove to Newfane to Duttons to pick up corn on the cob, butternut squash, acorn squash, tomatoes and lemons.  

We then drove to Dover to Brown’s Sugar Shak to pick up some maple syrup.  Picked up a couple quarts then came home.

After the truck was emptied and the garden cart filled with goodies to bring into the house, we took the spindled top shelf off of the table and the spindles were pulled out. Then Kirsten screwed the enamelware top on to the maple table.

New Table created by Kirsten

old table on the left and new table on right


































********************
Sunday the 14th of October, 2012

Today we got up and I made blueberry pancakes for breakfast with a few blackberries tossed in for good measure. Just perfect with our new syrup we picked up yesterday.


After breakfast was over, I pulled out a cutting board, sharp knife and a big steel kettle.  I cut up the tomatoes I’d bought yesterday, added the CSA onions from a couple weeks ago and some of the garlic I had grown last year.


My garlic is pretty tiny, I think that is because there was a mix-up with the place I bought it from last year (they sent the first order to someone at my address but in Brattleboro) then took 3 weeks to get another order sent to me at my address.  So it was late November  before I got the garlic planted.

However, the garlic is pretty big on flavor, so I like to add it to stir fry or todays Tomato Sauce.

this year's garlic 
CSA onions

















Tomatoes ready to stew
I made a light tomato sauce with tomatoes, garlic, onions, minced carrots, minced celery and olive oil, it actually boiled down into a lovely stew mixture.  Will split in half and freeze part of it and add some rice to the rest for tonight’s supper.

As things start to calm down for Fall chores, it will be time to get back into family history and some of my vacation homework from September as well as the earlier May vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment